Choosing A Motorcycle Insurance Policy That Fits Your Needs
9/17/2010 2:28:59 PM,
Sometimes, even with the proper training and attention to safety, you may find that an accident can be unavoidable. Whether due to the negligence of another driver, degraded road conditions, or other unforeseeable circumstances, being properly prepared for such an event is necessary. The best way to be prepared is to be sure that your motorcycle is properly insured, and that your policy fits your needs.
Currently, the state of Florida does not legally require you to posses insurance to register your motorcycle. However, if you are found at fault for an accident, you may be held personally and financially responsible for all liabilities related to the accident. This may include medical expenses and property damage incurred by the other party. Furthermore, if you are found at fault for a motorcycle accident, you will likely have to purchase a policy that covers liability for three years to save your license from suspension or revocation. Even if you are not at fault for the accident, you may not be able to recover damages if the other party is uninsured or underinsured.
Aside from providing peace of mind, being properly insured can potentially save you from a host of financial liabilities after a motorcycle accident. Here are some important questions to ask when considering an insurance policy for your motorcycle in the state of Florida:
- How much can I afford to spend on a motorcycle insurance policy?
- Do I currently have a loan outstanding on my motorcycle?
- If so your lender will require you to be fully covered.
- Does my current insurance policy for my four-wheeled vehicle cover me if I am in an accident on my motorcycle, or can I add motorcycle insurance to my policy?
- Sometimes, not always, riders insurance for their four-wheeled vehicle may cover their motorcycle as well. Make sure to check what your current policy will cover.
- How much liability will my policy cover?
- You may become personally liable for damages cause by an accident if your policy does not fully cover the costs.
- Does my insurance package cover my bike and personal injuries?
- If you posses only liability insurance, it will pay for injuries and damages to the other party, but not to you, the carrier of the policy
- Does my policy cover passengers riding with me?
- If you have the ability to carry a passenger on you bike, many policies allow for the passenger to be covered as well.
- Does my policy protect me from uninsured or underinsured motorists?
- Does my policy cover any modifications I have made to my bike?
- What is the deductible on my policy if I have collision insurance?
- Usually, the higher the out of pocket deductible, the lower the premium.
- Does my policy protect me if my bike is stolen?
These are just a few questions you might want to contemplate when searching for a motorcycle insurance policy. Asking the right questions can help you hone in on the policy that is right for you. As is the case with any type of insurance, it is wise to shop around to find the best possible rate for the coverage that you desire. You can easily obtain a quote online or by phone, just as you would for any auto.
As always — ride safely, and ride protected.